Collecting personal information about you
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you. We do so when you when you open a membership, open an account, or perform a transaction with us.
We collect, use, hold and disclose personal information about you so that we can:
- establish your identity as required by the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act
- assess your eligibility for membership
- process applications for products and services, including loans
- manage our risks and help identify and investigate inappropriate and illegal activity, such as fraud
- comply with our legal obligations to assist law enforcement agencies or regulators
- inform you about products or services that we think may be of interest to you, including those of our business partners.
What happens if you do not provide us with sufficient personal information about you?
If you do not provide us with the personal information we need, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you are seeking.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
The types of people and entities we disclose personal information about you to include:
- organisations which provide or confirm information to verify your identity
- contractors for statement production and delivery, card and cheque production
- brokers, agents and advisers acting for you
- persons and organisations who assist us in monitoring recorded calls for the purposes of quality assurance, training and acknowledgement
- lenders’ mortgage insurers and valuers
- our auditors, insurers and re-insurers
- employers or former employers (to verify employment in the case of loan applications)
- government and law enforcement agencies or regulators
- credit reporting bodies and other credit providers and
- organisations that help identify and investigate inappropriate or illegal activity, such as fraud.
- Consumer Data Right accredited data recipients where you have consented to the accredited data recipient collecting the personal information from us and us disclosing the personal information to the accredited data recipient (see our Consumer Data Right Policy which is available on our website and on request for more information).
Electronic verification of identity
As noted above, we are required under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act to collect and verify information relating to your identity. Subject to your consent, we will disclose your name, address and date of birth in order to access identification information electronically held by credit reporting bodies, the government’s Documentation Verification Service (DVS) and other public records.
To access such information, we use a service provider registered under the DVS. The service provider, may, for verification purposes on our behalf:
- request that a credit reporting body provide us with an assessment as to whether your personal information matches that held in their credit information files. (In preparing this assessment, the credit reporting body may use the personal information of other individuals);
- disclose your personal information to the DVS;
- search other public records.
If you do not consent to this process, alternative forms of verifying your identity are available on request.
If we are unable to verify your identity using the above methods, you will be provided with a notice to that effect. You may then be asked to provide further evidence of your identity. If we are unable to verify your identity to our satisfaction, we will not be able to admit you to membership or provide you with the services or products you seek.
Our Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy
Our Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy is available on our website. It contains information about:
- how we collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information
- how you can access personal information about you
- how you can seek correction of that personal information
- how you may complain if you think we may have breached your privacy
- how we will deal with your complaint and
- how we manage credit information.
Sending information overseas
Depending on our commercial arrangements, we may disclose personal information about you to business partners with operations overseas or who store personal information overseas (e.g. providers of Lenders’ Mortgage Insurance (“LMI”).
How to contact us
If you have any queries regarding privacy, use any of the methods set out below:
Hiver is a division of Teachers Mutual Bank Limited
Email: [email protected]
V11 2021 10 13